Tues 8th March 2011
International Women’s Day
Here at Peterborough Women’s Centre, we will be celebrating ‘In style’ and opening up our centre to visitors to join in and celebrate the work of women and the influence on society.
Not only that, we are also planning something special this year. We will be unveiling a new plaque in our Conference Room and renaming it the Mary Rainey Room in her memory. Mary was a lady whose memories lay very close to the hearts of Management Committee, Staff, Volunteers and clients of Peterborough Women’s Centre. Mary did a lot of work for Peterborough Women’s Centre and was a founder member from its conception in 1988 to the time of her death in February 2010.
Our activities include:
- Welcome from Stella Lanning, Centre Manager
- A joint presentation by Karen Wilson, CP Learning Trust and Karen Toon, PWC’s ICT Co-ordinator who have worked together for the Hands on History: Women who shaped the lives of people in Peterborough.
- Guest Speaker: Glennis Bentley MBE
- Overview of the work of Peterborough Women’s Centre with talks from staff members on each of their respective projects and job roles,
- Displays of Clients Work throughout the centre, including art displays and the Dosti ‘Friendship’ Group work.
- Room Dedication
- Tour of the centre
- Introduction and micro-teaching session to blogging, by Karen Toon, ICT Coordinator (especially suitable if you are interested in adding to this website/blog
Below is our official invite to you. It is not too late to reply.
View our event on the official International Women’s Day website: http://internationalwomensday.com/search.asp
See other links to blog posts about Mary Rainey, by clicking on the appropriate category list to the left hand side.
Factsheet on History of International Women’s Day available as a PDF from the following link http://www.internationalwomensday.com/iwd_factsheet.pdf